The QuickBooks Web Connector is a go-between application that allows safe communication between a web-based application, such as Tally Street, and QuickBooks Desktop and Enterprise.
This guide will take you through the steps to install the Tally Street Web Connector File.
Where to Install
In order to have the QuickBooks Web Connector service run frequently and reliably, the installation should be done on the primary computer or server for the company file.
- If QuickBooks and the file are on a single computer, then simply install the web connector file on the same computer.
- If the QuickBooks company file is on a server, but users have QuickBooks installed on their own computers, then install the web connector on the computer used the most often.
- If QuickBooks and the file are on a shared server, then it’s best to also install the web connector file on the server.
- If you are using a hosting provider (eg, Ace Cloud Hosting, Right Networks), then the web connector file will have to be installed on that hosted service, and it will only run when the hosted instance is active. Contact your hosting provider for more support.
Adding QuickBooks Web Connector File
You must have administrator rights to complete the installation. If you’re in multi-user mode then you’ll also be asked to select an administrative user during installation.
- Select Update Web Services from the QuickBooks File menu.
- Click Add an Application in the bottom right of the QuickBooks Web Connector window.
- Browse to where you downloaded the Tally Street file, it will have a “qwc” extension, and click Open.
- QuickBooks will validate the Tally Street certificate. It’s recommended to always allow access so the most current data is available. Tally Street does not require access to personal information. Click Continue.
- Click OK when prompted to authorize the new web service for Tally Street.
Password and First Update
You’ll be returned to the QuickBooks Web Connector main window after successfully installing the Tally Street web connector file.
The last step is to add your password to securely connect to Tally Street’s services. You can copy-and-paste the password provided by Tally Street into the password field.
Now you can confirm the installation and complete your first update!
- Check the box to the right of Tally Street
- Click Update Selected above Auto-Run
- The very first update may take a few minutes. When completed both the application progress and total progress bars will show 100% and the Last Result will say OK.
- Now you can minimize or hide the Web Connector (don’t exit or click “x” or it will stop running in the background).
To avoid future problems in a multi-user environment, we also recommend a simple change to the permissions of the QB Web Connector log file. Please see the instructions below for resolving the QBC1085 log file error.
Starting a Manual Update and Restarting Auto-Updates
The QuickBooks Web Connector will sometimes stop auto-updates. This is often because the Web Connector was accidentally closed, someone made a change, or it simply stopped working. To start a manual update and check auto-updates:
- Select Update Web Services from the QuickBooks File menu.
- Tick the box to the left of the Tally Street application (see above image)
- Click Update Selected and check the progress bars for completion
- For auto-updates, make sure Auto-Run is on and enter the number of minutes between auto-runs (we recommend 60 or 120)
IMPORTANT: When you’re finished and want to leave the Web Connector, click the dash (-) in the window. DO NOT click the X or the Web Connector will quit stop auto-updating.
Restore Auto Updates for Tally Street
If automatic updates are not available to Tally Street when QuickBooks is closed, then you should check the company preferences for Tally Street in QuickBooks.
While in single-user mode:
- Go to the Edit menu in QuickBooks and select Preferences
- In the left pane, click Integrated Applications
- Change to the Company Preferences tab, select Tally Street, and then click Properties
- Check ‘Allow this application to login automatically’
- Click OK, and then OK again to save changes to QuickBooks preferences
Resolving QWBC1085 Error
It is common for the QB Web Connector to present error QWBC1085 saying there is a problem with the log file. Sometimes the log file is damaged and Intuit provides instructions for generating a new log file.
More often this is caused by the permissions on the log file. The solution is to modify those permissions so Users can write to the log file, instead of only Administrators. Please log into your Windows computer or server as an Administrator and follow these steps:
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QBWebConnector\ The ProgramData directory may be hidden, so tick Hidden Items in the View menu in the File Explorer
- Right click on the log file, select Properties, go to the Security tab
- Select Users in the group section and turn on Write (or Full) access and click OK
- Close everything and restart the QB Web Connector, or restart Windows
QuickBooks Web Services not Available
The QuickBooks Web Services and Connector is usually pre-installed on QuickBooks Desktop or Enterprise implementations. If the QuickBooks Web Connector is missing, broken, or needs to be updated, please follow Intuit’s instructions to Set up QuickBooks Web Connector.
Reinstalling Tally Street
If you need to remove and reinstall the web connector link to Tally Street, or if you receive an error that a “Unique OwnerID/FileID pair value required”, then:
- Log into your QuickBooks file
- Select Edit -> Preferences -> Integrated Applications –> Company Preferences
- If you have any version of Tally Street simply choose to remove it & then repeat the installation.
Finding the Path to Your File
In rare situations you may be asked for the path to your company file. To find that path, log into the company file and press F2 to display your product information.
Single-user vs Multi-User Mode
Some QuickBooks configuration actions can only be completed when in single-user mode. To check if you are in single-user mode, click File and verify that Switch to Multi-user Mode option displays in the File menu. If you instead see Switch to Single User Mode, then click Switch to Single User Mode to leave multi-user mode.
You can also see if others are logged into QuickBooks by going to the Company menu, then selecting Users, then selecting View Users.
Hosted and Multi-User Environment Issues
QuickBooks hosting providers (eg, Ace Cloud Hosting, Right Networks) create separate environments for each user. The environment is started when the user logs in. The environment is then stopped when the user logs out — it’s like turning off the computer — and all associated applications stop running/syncing, including the QuickBooks Web Connector.
Therefore, to keep auto-sync available and have the most recent data available, the Web Connector file should be installed on the host computer or the hosted instance used most often.
- QuickBooks Desktop or Enterprise versions 2016 or later
- Computer needs to remain on and connected to the network for auto-updates